By now I am sure you understand all the benefits of growing an organic vegetable garden. If not, you can check out our post “Why Grow an Organic Vegetable Garden“. In this post we not only discuss the benefits of an organic garden but also talk about how to establish the bed, fertilize and weed control.
What we did not talk about was insecticides. Lets face it, as much as we may want to protect everything in nature, no one wants to share their dinner with bugs. But if you look at any label of those store bought products that are filled with chemicals, they will have warnings on the dangers of ingestion or contact with skin or eyes. Doesn’t sound too safe to spray on something we intend to eat.
So how do we keep the bugs away and still produce fresh and organic vegetables? The answer is pretty simple, take control and make your own with essential oils. Below are some recipes you can use to keep those pests away-
• Distilled water
• Spray bottle
• Liquid dish soap (biodegradable)
• Spearmint essential oil
• Citronella essential oil
• Lavender essential oil
• Blue tansy essential oil
• Cedarwood essential oil
• Fill an 8-oz. spray bottle with distilled water
• Add 1 ½ tablespoons of liquid dish soap
• Add 3–4 drops of each essential oil
• Mix and spray generously on plants, fruits, and vegetables
•Thieves cleaner – in a standard size spray bottle, fill almost full of water and then add enough Thieves Cleaner to color the water.
Did you know?
• Spearmint essential oil can help deter ants, caterpillars, fleas, gnats, moths, spiders and aphids
•Peppermint essential oils can help deter ants, aphids, beetles, caterpillars, fleas, flies, moths, and spiders
• Citronella essential oil can help deter gnats and mosquitoes
• Lavender essential oil can help deter fleas, moths, mosquitoes, ticks and flies
• Blue tansy essential oil can help deter flies
• Cedarwood essential oil can help deter moths, snails and slugs
• Lemon and orange essential oils can help reduce fungi from growing on plants
So you can adjust your recipe to deter what ever bug is attacking your garden. I have done a lot of research on essential oils since getting asked all the time about organic options for bug repellent. The company that I have chosen to order all my essential oils from is Young Living. They do not use any synthetic chemicals or pesticides or herbicides on their plants (they use essential oils to deter pests and pull weeds by hand). They are also 100% therapeutic grade and far higher quality than anything you’ll find on the grocery store shelves.
You can read more about why I chose Young Living for all my essential oils or can check out Drops of EO to learn more about Young Living and essential oils. If you need help ordering the essential oils or would like us to come out and spray for you, just get in touch. We are always here to help.